Emerging reports suggest that a massive suic*de bomb ripped through a secure area of Kabul, killing 90 people.
CNN reports that the blast which went off at the height of the Wednesday morning rush hour, left over 400 people injured.
Afghan officials said the blast which came a few days into the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, was one of the deadliest to hit the Afghan capital in recent years.
The bomb exploded in the diplomatic quarter near the German Embassy and the Afghan presidential palace.
According to BBC, the streets were packed with commuters, women shopping and children going to school and the blast appears likely to result in a high civilian death toll.
No group has said it carried out the attack but Taliban militants denied being involved. Recent bomb attacks in Kabul have been claimed either by the Taliban or so-called Islamic State (IS).
Most of the casualties were Afghans but foreign nationals were also injured, including 11 US citizens. Authorities in Germany postponed a deportation flight due to return failed Afghan asylum seekers, with a government source telling newsmen that diplomatic and consular staff had “more important things to do than to deal with organisational matters” so soon after the attack.
Mohammed Nazir, who had worked as a driver for BBC Afghan for more than four years, died in the blast, the BBC confirmed, adding that four of his colleagues were injured.
German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel said employees at the German embassy had been injured and one Afghan security guard had died. French officials said the country’s embassy had been damaged but no French casualties reported The British embassy said all its staff were accounted for.
Two Japanese embassy staff members were slightly wounded Turkey said its embassy was damaged but no-one was hurt Afghanistan’s Tolo news agency tweeted that one of its staff members, Aziz Navin, had died.
A Tolo journalist also said some of the victims were from the Roshan mobile phone company, but this has not been confirmed.