– The travel ban by President Donald Trump has stirred some bad blood in the international community
– Germany says it disagrees with Trump’s policies
– France has aligned with Germany’s views regarding what has been termed protectionism
France and Germany have aligned against President Donald Trump following the announcement of travel ban by his government.
A spokesman for Chancellor Angela Merkel says the German leader believes the Trump’s travel ban on people from some Muslim-majority countries is wrong.
After meeting on Saturday, the foreign ministers of both nations, Jean-Marc Ayrault and Germany’s Sigmar Gabriel, said they hope to meet with the Secretary of State nominee Rex Tillerson. Ayrault said Trump’s order on Friday that banning refugees “can only worry us.”
“We have signed international obligations, so welcoming refugees fleeing war and oppression forms part of our duties,” the French minister said.
“There are many other issues that worry us,” he added. “That is why Sigmar and I also discussed what we are going to do. When our colleague, Tillerson, is officially appointed, we will both contact him.” Gabriel said offering refuge to the persecuted are western values that Europe and the United States share.
“Love thy neighbor is part of this tradition, the act of helping others,” he said. “This unites us, we Westerners.
“I think that this remains a common foundation that we share with the United States, one we aim to promote.”
Trump said the ban was necessary in preventing “radical Islamic terrorists” from entering the U.S. Merkel and Trump spoke on Saturday for the first time since his inauguration but there was no mention of the travel ban or refugees was mentioned in their joint U.S.-German statement following the call.
Germany’s dpa news agency quoted Merkel’s spokesman Steffen Seibert saying Sunday that “she is convinced that even the necessary, resolute fight against terrorism doesn’t justify putting people of a particular origin or particular faith under general suspicion.”
A federal judge in New York has issued an emergency stay temporarily halting the removal of individuals detained after President Trump issued an order to ban immigrants from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the U.S.
The move appears to mark the first successful legal challenge to the Trump administration and affects those who have arrived in the U.S. with previously approved refugee applications or were in transit with valid visas. Similar rulings were later issued in Virginia, Massachusetts and Washington state.
U.S. District Court Judge Ann Donnelly ruled in favor of a habeas corpus petition filed by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) on behalf of two Iraqi men who were detained at John F. Kennedy International Airport on Friday after Trump signed his order.
Donnelly, who was nominated by former President Barack Obama and confirmed to her judgeship in 2015, ruled in the Eastern District of New York that “there is imminent danger that, absent the stay of removal, there will be substantial and irreparable injury to refugees, visa-holders, and other individuals from nations subject” to Trump’s order.
“This ruling preserves the status quo and ensures that people who have been granted permission to be in this country are not illegally removed off U.S. soil,” said Lee Gelernt, deputy director of the ACLU’s Immigrants’ Rights Project.